Happy Birthday Pop! We love you and miss you! Life ain’t the same without you here with us. He would have been 76 today.
For those of you who knew my dad, know what a great man he was. For those who didn’t... you really missed out... But here are 20 fun facts about my Dad. 🙂
1. He was born in 1944 in Torreón, Coahuila, Mexico.
2. He was the oldest of 9 siblings.
3. He came to the United States at the age of 16 to work with his father to help raise money for his family in Mexico.
4. He went to Garfield High School in East LA and later dropped out to work full time as a tailor.
5. His all time favorite music group were The Beatles. He also loved Santana, The Doors, Chicago, Elvis Presley, and Frank Sinatra.
6. His favorite actors were Steve McQueen, Clint Eastwood, James Dean, Cantinflas and Charlie Chaplin.
7. He never said a bad word.
8. He enjoyed bike riding, hiking, walking the dog and riding his old motorcycle.
9. His first job being a tailor for the studios was on CHiPs with Eric Estrada 1977-1983.
10. He moved on to work with all the major studios in Hollywood till his retirement in 2011.
11. One of the highlights of his career was creating all of the Pirates and Lost Boys costumes in the movie “Hook” staring Robbin Williams and Dustin Hoffman.
12. He was never star struck when working with celebrities until he met and worked with his hero Paul McCartney of The Beatles. He was responsible for doing all of McCartney’s tailoring and alterations on the “2002 Driving USA” Tour .
13. He retired at 65 (2009) then was asked to return because they couldn’t find his replacement. He ended up retiring at 67 (2011).
14. His final TV show that he worked on before retiring was “Entourage” final season.
15. He enjoyed smoking Marlboro cigarettes and drinking Scotch on the rocks.
16. He welcomed so many people into his home and made them feel like family.
17. He always made my friends take shots of tequila.
18. He loved having birthday parties.
19. He was always trying to make people laugh. And he succeeded 100% of the time.
20. He continues to be an inspiration to his 2 sons.
“Always do what you love”